Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ice Storm - Day 3

I wake up early and start listening to my walkman. It's cold, 16 degrees. Stay home unless you absolutely have to go out. Driving conditions are terrible. Branches and limbs continue to fall, it's dangerous. Power is out all over the place. Hope to have it back in 4 or 5 days.

One look out my front window shows me terrible devestation. I'm so sad. I call our Senior Missionaries. They have no power, it's so cold in their apartment. I invite them over. They tell me that as soon as they can chip their way into their car they'll come over. We eat breakfast. And then I make the most wonderful discovery of all time - I have hot water!! That beautiful gas water heater has been quietly doing its job and there is hot water!! Two seconds later I'm in the shower, feeling rather luxurious. Still no power but I'm not so concerned about that now, I just sit by the fire and dry my hair. The Sisters take turns having showers. It's the most wonderful thing in the world!!

Elder and Sister Garff finally pull into the driveway in their heavily ice laden car. The roads aren't too bad but trees are down all over. So this seems like the perfect time to - that's right - make a craft. I pull out pretty paper, composition notebooks, glue sticks, ribbon, stamps, you name it, and the ladies get busy and make beautiful notebooks. Takes us the rest of the morning. Elder Garff alternately studies and dozes. We've got beautiful music on the battery powered CD player and that wonderful fireplace keeping us warm.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: