Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Fascinating Headstones


I was really interested in the carvings on the headstones. Some of them are coates of arms but many were rather macbre pictures of skulls, or skeletons, or what looked to me like angry angels or an angry God with and hour glass out of time. I know that death was not a very sweet experience for them. Although it was so common that I don't think people were very surprised by it either. I'll have to do more study about the engravings on th headstones but I just thought they were so interesting. Please note the one with the two angels, one awake and the other asleep. And of course the spelling was very different, I didn't include much but a little. (Click on the collage and it should enlarge so you can see it better.)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: