Monday morning - Jere is on his way to Boston so we're up early and head out the door to the airport. Skies are a little cloudy but the temp is mild. It's going to be a busy day, first teaching at the Institute, then preparation for Bishop's Family Home Evening, and then FHE which includes the lesson, treats, and game playing until everyone decides they've had enough. At the Institute someone casually asks if I am ready for the ice storm. "Ice storm, hmmmmm, I haven't even heard about an ice storm!" And then to myself I think about all of the times that the weather forcast has not even been close to right. Monday afternoon I start making cupcakes, 72 but who is counting?, and straightening the house. After a while the phone calls and texts start. "Are we really going to have Family Home Evening tonight?" A glance out the window doesn't convince me that we should cancel, it's cloudy now but nothing is going on. Brother Sallings, a counselor in the Bishopric who is also a teacher, informs me that the schools have all dismissed early and wonders if cancelling might not be a good idea. The thing is that we lived in Minnesota for too many years to let a little weather get in the way of other plans. Here kids don't go out for recess when the temp drops to 40, there it has to be 40 below zero before the kids get a break!! Not sure, not sure, not sure. What to do, what to do, what to do???? The big deciding factor is that I don't want to be responsible for any accidents or worse. Okay, okay, okay - we'll cancel (in the back of my mind are 72 cupcakes and just what I'm going to look like if I end up eating all of them!).
And then it starts to rain!!!