Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sad Things

For the last week my heart has been heavy. Thinking about two families - one who has lost a son and another whose son was spared. Questioning - why? Having faith that God is in charge and that he will make it all right, somehow. Feeling the absolute empty, gut-wrenching pain that one family must be going through. The intense desire, the total need to wake up and discover that this has just been the most terrible dream that one could ever have. And yet realizing that this isn't a dream at all but a new, hard, sad, horrendous reality. How do you adjust to that? And on the other hand the extreme gratitude of another family who could have lost a son, who could have a son who is now a paraplegic but whose son was spared. The long recovery will be nothing compared to what could have happened. And somewhere in the middle our family with two sons who were not involved at all simply because they were gone to our family reunion but would have been if they had been at work in Minneapolis. One is totally involved in helping two families heal. A tall young man with thin shoulders who is trying, and expected to reconstruct the shattered pieces of a worlds that have forever changed. The other feeling the pain of what could have been, also trying to help give comfort and encouragement. Sons who are feeling the pain of loss, the joy of survival and the guilt of just not being there, of just not being able to change the course of what is now history.





And my prayer is that each individual is blessed according to his or her individual need. That each individual can heal, find peace, solace, comfort.





Isaiah 41:10 ""Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."





Isaiah 41:13 "For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee."

No comments: